Hello there! I hope your week has been bright with some solid moments of self care.
One way I like to care for my well being is by decorating my most occupied spaces. Even though it's work on the front end, I get so much peace and joy by adding life and beauty to the spaces around me.
It is month 6 of inhabiting our new home! So, I would love to fill you in on all of the house renovations, plus my favorite spots in the house that are fully furnished and noteworthy. However, with money being tight in this season as well as time, we have yet to paint a single room and haven't bought a big piece of furniture yet (unless you count replacing a washing machine). I've been learning a lot in this slow and steady design process. One thing being that if you have a neutral base color on your walls, you can work with it as a foundation to build upon. Since I can't splurge and demo each space that I want to, I am doing my best to make each room the warm, peaceful and creative space that we've had on our hearts ever since we dreamed of our first home.
To me - Decorations are everything, environment is everything, lighting is everything, and caring about the details help to make it everything you've hoped and dreamed of.
A few things I'm doing to help speed up this house renovation process:
- I'm trying my very best to furnish/complete one room at a time. I think, "what rooms are priorities for us and our needs?"
- Then, I sit in those rooms and dream, and I've started a mood board for what I envision them to be
- I've been thrifting 1-2x a week hunting for decorations and the furniture I'm looking for for a couple months now.
So far, I've found an iconic chair, a few trays (trays have so many uses - decorations, to eat on, for photo shoots, displays...), pots, basket wall decor, and a few other things.
- I have also been adding key details to each room that make me and my family feel relaxed and at home. They also help create those environments when company comes over. A few details I add - lighting, good smelling candles, letting natural light in as much as possible during the day, plants and greenery to make things feel fresh, throw blankets and pillows, mood lighting, encouraging words...etc
- Take freebies! I put a request out there on Facebook and Instagram to see if there were any good deals on paint anywhere, and a friend gave us some left over paint for free! Score! I'll be using it to paint one of our bath rooms and a wooden kitchen for our daughter (which we also got for free).
Here are a few pictures of some updates:
This is a before picture of the family room that was in the house listing - -
These are some of the changes and updates we've made - -
Here is a before picture of the dining area and the original pendant light fixture - -
Here is our updated light fixture and furnishings - -
As you can see on the main floor, the walls are very gray and have a blue tint to them. We'll be painting this floor and our basement white in the months to come! I can't wait to gain more natural lighting. It also needs a ton more color and accent pieces, so those are on the list!
To be honest, I am not fully satisfied with any of the spaces in our house yet and am/will constantly be thinking about ways to make rooms even better. But, I am working hard to make this house a home and I'll check in every once in awhile to show you our house progress! Our next rooms we're going to work on are the first floor bathroom and our basement. We'll be painting, and rearranging. I'll show you updates and let you in on what I want to fix or update next. I love the idea of making spaces better! And since we plan on being in this house for at least 3-5 years, we'll be updating and remodeling probably up until we move.
Can't wait to check in soon with more updates!
Have a great rest of your week,